Many people ask us, “How does a wish happen?”
Here is our step-by-step through our wish process:
- A child is referred to us. There are several ways to refer a child: by phone, by e-mail or by fax. Family, friends, medical personnel, teachers or social workers can begin the process, but please ensure that the family is aware of the referral before beginning.
- We contact the child’s doctor and our medical advisor for authorization that the child meets our medical criteria.
- After receiving medical authorization, we inform the wish family and assign a volunteer Wish Interviewer.
- Our volunteer Wish Interviewer arranges to visit the family.
- During their visit, the Wish Interviewer has one very important responsibility: to help a child identify one heartfelt wish. They will also find out a second and third wish (just in case the first one is not approved by the doctor, or is one of the few wishes that our chapter cannot endorse).
- Our office contacts the child’s doctor for approval that the wish is safe and appropriate for the child’s medical condition.
- Once we receive medical approval, a volunteer Wish Grantor will contact the family and begin the magical work of making a wish happen.
- The volunteer Wish Grantor will stay in touch with the family as they plan the wish.
- With the help of community members, and sometimes magical intervention, Wish Grantors dream up surprises, seek donations, organize itineraries and set dates.
- On the wish day itself, the family sits back as the wish unfolds, often with special joys and serendipitous touches.
“Getting to watch him bubble and explode with excitement was a wonderful gift.”